Are you sensitive to other people’s energy? Do you feel their emotions, sense things they do not say and feel drained after being around others?
Do you become easily overstimulated, feel isolated and like you don’t fit in?
These are some signs that you may be an empath or HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) and according to studies this is true for about 20% of the population. (It is argued that there are differences between the two but that is not the purpose of this discussion so I’ll keep things general.)
While many see this as a curse and often ask me how to stop taking on other people’s energies and how to stop feeling so exhausted, it truly is a gift once you learn what is going on and how to manage it.
Empaths are not “over-sensitive” they simply have a gift they must learn how to use effectively
Empaths contribute to society with their creative, intuitive and heart-centred approach to life, and as consciousness evolves on the planet empaths are on the leading edge of that change, guiding humanity into a space of deeper compassion, vulnerability and awareness.
One of the most important pieces of advice I can offer here is to remind you of these qualities and to let you know that you are like a vast, enticing pool of healing waters for every lost soul and troubled being for miles. They sense your big heart and depth of compassion and they are drawn to it like moths to a flame.
Here’s the important part: If you do not take care of yourself they will drown you in your own pool!
They do not do this intentionally, but you will kindly take all of their stress and negativity out of the goodness of your heart because you want to help people and you hate to see them suffering. The more people you do this with the more you can start to become depressed, stress, heavy, overeat, over-emotional and so on.
If you take care of you, your empathic gifts will contribute to others in the most amazing ways. You will inspire and delight, you will shine your light and you will be a bridge to a deeper level of consciousness. The world is truly waiting for you.
Tips for Self-Care
- Vote with your Feet – when you feel yourself getting overstimulated leave the situation immediately. Go outside, walk in nature, leave the party, find a quiet space, go to bed, slow everything down so you can regain your balance. Enduring any energetically overwhelming situation is unkind to you.
- Use your voice – explain to friends and family (as much as possible) that you are sensitive to energy and sometimes need to leave social situations early. They will learn to accept this, or they will think you are weird. Either way, it’s not your problem.
- Trigger Points – you may have your own specific triggers that you are aware of and can minimise where possible. Here’s a few common ones: large crowds, anything noisy and chaotic, traffic, negative people, low blood sugar, overworking, harsh chemicals or environments, watching the news or violent movies, energy vampires (these people will seek you out for your delicious energy leaving you feeling like you feeling like all life has been sucked out of you).
- Create your own space – you need time out from all the crazy and this is imperative. Let your family know that even 15 minutes is required each day just for you. It may be outside at night in the moonlight, a comfortable and nurturing space in your home, among the plants in your garden where you can just sit and rejuvenate.
- It’s not yours – remember that the energies you pick up are not yours. You will think they are because they seem so real and immediate, however, 99% of all thoughts, feelings and emotions you are aware of are not yours. Remember this next time you feel sad or depressed and ask “Is this energy mine?” If you get a sense that it’s not yours simply ask the universe to return it to its source as you take a deep breath and let it go.
- Rescue Remedies – these are great for negative energy build ups when you have trouble getting away from an overwhelming situation
- Lightening Hands – Imagine all the energy gathering in your hands then count to three, and flick your hands out in front as if trying to flick the energy from your hands. Do this about 5 to 10 times (use your intuition, you’ll know).
- Conscious Breathing – take some slow deep breaths into your belly. Let everything else fall away and just be with your breath for a few minutes. Then allow the energies around you to sink into the earth. Mentally say “Release and dissipate” numerous times.
- Water Therapy – take a shower, go for a swim, or wash your hands. Water is soothing to your soul, it is healing and rejuvenating for you and will wash away a lot of stuck energies. You can even imagine the energies flowing down the drain as you enjoy the water.
Being an empath has been a bonus for me as a healer, I sense people’s feelings and emotions as if they were my own, which allows me to have a very intuitive sense of what my clients require and how best to help them. As a child this was overwhelming and I learned behaviours to stuff down all this awareness and pretend I didn’t notice it. Now that I have a better understanding of this I acknowledge that it is truly a gift and while it takes a little practice you can begin to honour this gift within you right away.
What magic do you have to share with the world that you have not yet acknowledged?
Until next time, Beautiful Beings . . .
**Don’t miss the Being A Healer teleclass on Tuesday 12th June**
Keryn Lee is a Healing Practitioner, Tarot Reader, Money Coach and Intuitive Consultant. She offers transformational Private Sessions and Programs to clients who are ready to create phenomenal change in their lives. Sessions available In Person, Online or Phone. Book Now on 0408 857 620 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit website: www.kerynlee.com.au