You’ve probably tried every diet imaginable, heard endlessly about how much you should be exercising, and look in the mirror with any number of emotions from shame or disgust to disappointment and just feeling not good enough.
Every time you start another diet you hope you’ll lose weight and feel better about yourself, and this may work for a while, but inevitably you end up putting on even more weight and feeling like a total a failure!
It doesn’t have to be this way. I’d like to show you how to look at your weight and self-image issues from an entirely different perspective, one that will change your whole relationship with your body.
The Dieting Industry
The dieting industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and in 2015 alone $213 billion was spent on people trying to lose weight. Statistics indicate that only 5% of people on a diet actually lose weight which shows dieting is clearly inefficient, not to mention dis-heartening. If you spend that much money you want to see results, right? Yet this industry perpetuates its cycle by preying on the insecurities and lack of self-esteem as well as the guilt and shame that people, especially women, feel about their bodies and their size.
While diet clubs may be full of well-meaning people, the whole concept of focusing on food and exercise to lose weight misses the whole point of this issue. It’s like blaming a boat that’s anchored out at sea for rocking back and forth while failing to take into account the winds, the tides, the currents, the wake of other boats and other aspects that may affect the seas.
When we focus on what we weigh, limiting food intake or what foods we should or shouldn’t eat or how much we need to exercise we are focusing on the boat. Then we try to fix the boat to make it stop rocking, we might add stabilisers or try to redistribute weight in the boat, all of which will have very little influence on the rolling waves beneath it. That’s why diets don’t work – they focus on the boat and this distracts you from what’s really going on.
What lies below the surface?
When we are willing to take our focus off the weight and the food and the diets and actually listen to our bodies we gain more awareness about the underlying causes of weight gain that are hidden below the surface.
Here’s TWO of the main underlying influences that may affect your body and your weight:
- Subconscious beliefs – these will override your conscious beliefs any day. They are deeply ingrained and act like a default setting so the mind can keep you in a state that it deems safe and comfortable, and for the mind that means as little change as possible. This is why people tend to repeat the same patterns and why dieting doesn’t work. Diets appeal to the conscious mind, not the subconscious. On the up-side, it is possible to change subconscious beliefs.
- Judgements – this is one of the major influences of weight gain and it’s all about the judgements we pick up from others and that we perpetuate on ourselves. I have found that many people who carry excess weight are extremely sensitive to other people’s energies and therefore psychically pick up on their judgements and think these judgements are their own. They often feel too sensitive, tend to be “people pleasers” and put other people’s needs before their own. This too can be changed with some simple tools.
What can you do?
Your body is giving you subtle (and not so subtle) messages every moment of every day, and one of these messages can be weight gain or the inability to lose weight. Instead of acknowledging the wisdom of our body and what it’s trying to tell us, we complain about our size or what we look like and try another diet.
Tips to start to develop a new relationship with your body:
- Stop judging yourself – stop seeing excess weight as a wrongness and instead ask, “What’s right about this that I’m not getting?” because ultimately your body is giving you all the clues, you just haven’t been taught how to listen. You are not wrong, your body is not wrong and if you ask this question every time you’re blaming and judging yourself you will start to open up the space for new possibilities and more awareness about what your body wants you to know. See every judgement as an interesting point of view and not something that you need to buy into.
- Choice – instead of complaining about never being able to lose weight or trying over and over to do diets that you know don’t work, just make a clear choice about what you do desire. Every time you catch yourself thinking “I’m fat and useless” STOP, and make a new choice: “I used to think I was fat and useless but now I choose ease and joy with my body”. Notice that this is NOT an affirmation. You are not lying to your body and telling yourself that you are something that you may not be. You are making a new choice and this helps to create new neural pathways which will help you break free of your current default settings. You will be surprised how much change this can create if you do this often. Wake up each morning and say “I choose ease and joy with my body.”
- Questions – asking questions always creates more space for awareness and possibilities. Making conclusions (I can never lose weight no matter how much I try) or judgements (I’m not good enough so I’ll always be fat) shut down the energies and limit the possibility for change. Some great questions to ask regularly are:
- What else is possible?
- What would it take for me to lose weight with ease?
- What awareness am I refusing with this weight I am choosing?
(Don’t go looking for answers when you ask questions, just allow the awareness to show up seconds, days, weeks later and know that you are creating more space for different possibilities in your life- ask and you shall receive.)
Most importantly, know that you are an amazing, beautiful being. You are a unique and brilliant contribution to the planet and your special abilities and capacities (whether you see them yet or not) are a gift to the world. Thank you for BEING HERE, thank you for BEING YOU.
Are you ready to get off the Dieting Merry-Go-Round?
Keryn Lee is an Intuitive Consultant and Healing Practitioner. She offers transformational Private Sessions to clients who are ready to create phenomenal change in their lives. Sessions available In Person, Online or Phone. Book Now on 0408 857 620 or email@example.com
Keryn also recommends the No Judgement Diet online program created by her friend Katherine MacIntosh. https://no-judgement-diet.com/free-video-series?affiliate_id=603371